quarta-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2013

When Jokers Attack with The Citradels - An Interview


Diretamente de Melbourne, Austrália, uma das grandes surpresas desse já espetacular 2013, Psychotic Syndrone é o debute de estréia do The Citradels, e os caras atacam literalmente com doses monstruosas de psych drone noise, é notório a imensa influência de VU, Spacemen 3 e BJM, chega a ser absurdamente explícita tamanha dose de psicodelia caótica, pegue Illuminous, She´s Gone, Jantar Mantar e sinta o tamanho do estrago que o Citradels causa, é dependência na certa.

Para bom entendedor Psychotic Syndrone torna-se album de cabeceira de imediato, e vem o segundo album pela frente, mas antes uma visita a India para buscar inspiracão, assim é o The Citradels, sem contar que o TBTCI e o Citradels preparam surpresas, quem estiver são, verá.

Por hora, a entrevista dá dicas do que é e o que o Citradels preparam aos freaks de plantão.


***** Interview with The Citradels *****


Q. When did The Citradels starts, tell us about the history...
The Citradels originally started in the late part of 2010 when I (Tom De Vries) decided to start writing my own songs that I could play as the band I was in at the time wasn't really doing my thing. I built up a collection up of maybe 10 songs which some got released on the inter net under some different names and some never left my computer. I started showing them to a few people and formed a line up in which we went into recording some of the old songs again and some new songs. At our first gig (mid 2011) we handed out all of these demos but the line up was unstable and we only played a few shows and by the time agent 15 on the radio was ready for release the line up was non-existent. After relocating to Melbourne (mid 2012) I formed a new line up and we started work on the album and playing live with visual projection. Since then played constantly through the last few months of 2012 which included a residency called dead man.

Q: Who are your influences?
Some of the main influences maybe obvious like The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Velvet Underground and Spacemen 3. But we love a whole range of bands some really important ones to me are blue angel lounge, tales of murder and dust and the black angels. We also try and draw from some others sounds such as Indian music as well as Asian oriental music and even like old European music that have those really spooky sounding melodies.

Q. Made a list of 5 albums of all time…
Ahh. If I had to list them I would have to say it would be the following not in any particular order.
1.The Beatles - Rubber Soul- the first vinyl I ever purchased.
2.The Velvet underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
3.Spacemen 3 - Perfect Prescription
4.Brian Jonestown Massacre - Give It Back
5.The Black Angels - Passover

Honourable mentions would go to Blue Angel lounge for their self title and Tales of Murder and Dust for Hallucination of Beauty both albums completed changed the way I thought about music and more so the sound of psychedelic music.

Q. How do you fell playing alive?
Playing live is great. Especially over the last couple of months I’m liking it a lot more because I really trust the people in the band and I know we are all on the same plain when it comes to how we need to sound. We just added another member so now being a 6 piece it's nice to have that constant percussion and another vocal. Live is also great because I don't feel like there is as much pressure on me as when we record. Like recording the songs are there and people can hear everything if I mix them right where as live its the band doing everything and just playing so the weight is shared evenly, even though they play on recordings its seems to be getting a lot easier for me to stand up there and play. Also with playing with visuals makes a lot of difference I think. It really helps the music.

Q. How do you describe The Citradels sounds?
Some one describe the album as Middle West which I think is a pretty good way to describe it. Drone and roll is maybe another way that you could describe it. I find it hard to describe it because so many people have said different things about it.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the album?
Um well the album was recorded mostly in my house in Melbourne but we also did little bit's in the studio at my uni and curt's house. This was the first lot of recordings where I had really worked with everyone on them so it made it a much more a collective record. We just found that doing takes at the house seemed to be a lot easier and we were a lot more relaxed where as when your at the studio you know you are in that certain environment so you can get stressed. We also had a really bad experience on one of the last session at the studio where we recorded 3 drums tracks along with bass and some vocals and all were lost in cyber space. Pretty much there was no files as if they had never existed on the computer. So those songs are going to be on the new record we are now working on which is going to be done in whole at my house. We have the gear and as I said the vibe when recording at home is really nice.


Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
There is a heap of new bands around Melbourne at the moment the are fucking amazing. Contrast is a really great new shoegaze one. They have a great sound and it's really on the money. Another great band is one that called The Grand Rapids which is this amazing band that reminds me of The Warlocks and Blue Angel Lounge and we were lucking enough to get them both to play at the album launch. Some international ones that I have been listen to a lot are Black Market Karma I know that aren’t super new but I only just got into them and I really enjoy all of their albums.

Q: Which bands you love to made a cover version?
ahh I think one of the best songs to cover would be We Sell Soul's by the 13th Floor Elevators but since spaceman 3 did it with don't fall down there is now way anyone could beat that cover. One that I think we could maybe cover well would be this really early Bee Gee’s song which I know sounds weird but this songs is really sweet so I think we will try for that one. It's called Every Lion Hearted Christian Man by The Bee Gees

Q: What’s the plans for future....
Finish the second album before I go to India in the middle of the year and then hopefully play interstate at the end of the year.

Q: Any parting words?
Thank You and God Bless.
*
*
*
Thanks guys

https://www.facebook.com/TheCitradels?fref=ts
http://thecitradels.bandcamp.com/