quarta-feira, 17 de setembro de 2014

Translucent Flashbacks with E Gone - An Interview



Folk apocalíptico psicodélico, algo como se do nada brotasse uma sequência do Dreamweapon do Spacemen 3, ou do Madcap Laughts do Syd Barret, essa é a sensação ao ouvir o debute All The Suns of the Earth, uma verdadeira odisseia sensorial para dentro da mente, pegue The Drug behind the drug e sinta o tamanho da viagem.

Um álbum que vai caminhando entre a acidez mais delirante até o folk suplicante e psicodelicamente sedutor e sensível.

Aqui o TBTCI tenta ajudar a vocês não ficarem sem ter contato com esse espetacular album, ah sim, All The Suns of the Earth é tão poderoso e viciante que nem sequer citei o seu criador, Daniel Westerlund ou melhor dizendo E GONE.


***** Interview with E Gone *****


Q. When did E Gone starts, tell us about the history...
E GONE came into existence when my former band – The Goner – disintegrated, which was around september 2012. At first The Goner started as my solo project in 2008, but it soon developed into a full band. When it fell apart due to a series of problems I felt that I could just go back to writing and playing music by myself again, calling it E GONE. Some of the material on E GONEs debut All the Suns of the Earth I had originally written for The Goner: like an early version of ”Blind Tribe” floated around in 2009 and ”The Poor of Heart” was part of The Goner rehearsals in 2012.

Q: Who are your influences?
Three early influences would have to be: Palace Brothers, 16 Horsepower and Tom Waits. These artists turned my head around when I heard them for the first time. Later influences are projects like Six Organs of Admittance, Voice of the Seven Woods but also singer-songwriters like Marissa Nadler and Jason Molina. I think personally that my teenage obsession with The Downard Spiral by Nine Inch Nails also plays a part in some of my production choices. But maybe only I can hear that...

Q. Made a list of 5 albuns of all time…
Isengrind/Twinsistermoon/Natural Snow Buildings – The Snowbringer Cult
Various Artists/Harry Smith – An Anthology of American Folk Music
Tom Waits – Swordfishtrombones
Palace Music – Arise Therefore
Joakim Skogsberg – Jola Rota

Q. How do you fell playing alive?
I like being on stage and I think I do it fairly well. It gets a bit lonely without a band, but I build a camp onstage with samplers, synths, guitars and candles to keep me company.


Q. How do you describe E Gone sounds?
Psychedelic post-punk from the middle ages.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
The recordings for All the Suns of the Earth were done in my small home studio and at The Goners former rehearsal space. I used a small set of microphones, semi-professional hardware and on top of that a lot of mixing ”in the box”. A majority of the songs are written while they are being recorded, that is, they are built from the ground upwards and I use external effects and/or possibilities within the DAW as an instruments in themselves. Every song is a new playground. I like to have a phase in the beginning of recording where everything is permitted, I just keep adding stuff, playing around. And when I seem to grasp what the song wants to do, I start arranging.

Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
I’m heavily into Swedish composers Hans Appelqvist and Erik Enocksson at the moment. Morgan Delt is really good. The latest Timber Timbre record were on heavy rotation at my house for about six months. Best live act around these days is probably Master Musicians of Bukkake. Can’t get enough of that.

Q: Which bands you love to made a cover version?
I’d love to make my own interpretations of some Old Weird America classics, like Shady Grove or I Wish A Was A Mole In The Ground.

Q: What´s the plans for future....
I'm in the process of recording the follow-up record to All the Suns of the Earth, it will be called Advice to Hill Walkers. It will be entirely instrumental, almost completely psychedelic and droney, and therefore a more consistent record than All the Suns... There is a third record planned, entitled Adventures Before the Body. But I can’t say much about that record as of yet. These three records form a sort of trilogy. I also plan to play live more.

Q: Any parting words
Thank you for having me. And check out https://www.facebook.com/eegonee and/or www.e-gone.org for more. Cheers!
*
*
*
Thanks Daniel

https://www.facebook.com/eegonee
www.e-gone.org
http://www.sunriseoceanbender.com/